The Carolyn Boone Lewis Equity of Care Awards recognize hospitals and health systems that have moved beyond plans and awareness of the #123forEquity pledge to action. This award celebrates organizations that demonstrate high achievement in advancing diversity, health equity, and equitable health care as evidenced through data, leadership, cultural awareness, and partnerships. These efforts have benefits including improved patient experiences, outcomes of care, reduced per capita cost and improved workforce preparedness.
This year, the Award Committee will consider honorees in the following categories:
- Overall Award: This organization stands out as most innovative and best of all applications in demonstrating excellence in equity within the community it serves.
- Newcomer: This would recognize an organization that has not previous applied and demonstrates a level of success and excellence in equity.
- Sustained Performance: This would recognize an organization that is consistently recognized as a leader in health equity (i.e. has received previous honors for Equity of Care; identified as a leader in the equity space, etc.) and current efforts merit special recognition.
- Rural, Small, or Community Hospital: This would recognizes a hospital not located in a metropolitan area, as defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget – Core-based statistical area (CBSA), a hospital with fewer than 100 beds, or all non-federal short-term general and other special hospitals.
- Health System: This would recognize the equity efforts of a health system that manages and oversees the operations, finances, and governance of multiple hospitals and health services
- All applicants must be a member of the American Hospital Association or the Institute for Diversity and Health Equity.
- All applicants must have signed the #123forEquity Pledge.
Online submissions are now closed. Winners will be notified via email Spring 2020.